top of page

10 Common Electrical Problems Homeowners Shouldn't Ignore

Updated: Dec 12, 2023


Electrician repairing an outlet in Phialdelphia, Pennsylvania

As a homeowner, it's important to be aware of potential electrical problems in your home. Here are 10 common electrical issues that you shouldn't ignore:


  1. Flickering lights: Flickering lights could be a warning sign of a loose electrical connection, which can lead to overheating and pose a fire risk.

  2. Circuit breakers tripping frequently: If circuit breakers are tripping frequently, it might be indicative of an overloaded circuit or a short circuit, both of which can cause electrical shock or fire.

  3. Outlets that don't work: If you have outlets that don't work, it may be a sign of damaged wiring or an outlet, which can be a safety hazard.

  4. Buzzing or humming sounds coming from electrical appliances or outlets: Buzzing or humming sounds emanating from electrical appliances or outlets could indicate a problem with faulty wiring or an appliance, which can pose a danger of electrical shock or fire.

  5. Overloaded circuits: Overloaded circuits can cause overheating and increase the chance of a fire.

  6. Light switches that don't work: If you have light switches that don't work, it may be a sign of damaged wiring or a damaged switch, both of which can pose a safety risk.

  7. Burning smells coming from outlets or appliances: Burning smells coming from outlets or appliances could suggest a serious electrical issue, which can pose a fire risk.

  8. Old or outdated electrical panels: Older electrical panels may not be able to handle modern electrical demands, leading to overheating and increased fire risk.

  9. GFCI outlets that trip frequently: If GFCI outlets trip frequently, it means that the outlet is detecting a ground fault, which can pose a danger of electrical shock or fire.

  10. Outdated or damaged wiring: Outdated or damaged wiring can be a safety hazard and increase the risk of electrical shock or fire. It's important to have a professional inspect and replace any outdated or damaged wiring.

Ignoring these problems can lead to dangerous situations, including electrical fires. If you notice any of these issues in your home, it's important to have them addressed by a licensed electrician as soon as possible. Always Affordable Electric is here to help you ensure the safety of your home and family by providing expert electrical services. Contact us today at 215-927-1100 for your free quote!







15 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page