top of page

Never Ignore These Electrical Warning Signs!

From mailing letters to scheduling appointments, in our busy lives it's easy to forget to take care of important errands. However, there are times that an important errand shouldn't be put aside for later. If any of these electrical warning signs sound familiar, you should skip adding it to your to-do list and call your local electrician immediately! Ignoring any of these issues can be extremely dangerous and should never be ignored.

  1. Circuit Breakers Tripping This indicates that circuits are drawing more power than they can safely provide. This can be very hazardous. To learn more about this issue, read our blog post all about circuit breaker safety.

  2. Buzzing Switches or Outlets When switches and outlets make a buzzing noise, this can indicate loose wiring. You should turn them off immediately to avoid a fire.

  3. Hot Electrical Outlets or Switch Plate Covers It is normal for a dimmer switch to feel slightly warm to the touch. However, hot outlet and switch plate covers indicate an electrical issue that should be addressed by an electrician as soon as possible.

  4. Overloaded Outlets Power strips and outlet add-ons can often push your electrical system beyond its intended capacity. This can be dangerous. Ask your electrician to add additional circuits to make outlets more accessible and safe.

  5. Burning Odors A burning odor can be one of the strongest indicators of a potential house fire. If you smell burning plastic, you should check all of your outlets and electrical panel to try to locate the source. Once you find it, unplug everything from the nearby outlets and call an electrician immediately!

  6. Faulty Outlets We've covered hot and buzzing outlets, but there are more outlet warning signs to look out for. Loose-fitting plugs, vibrating outlets, discoloration or scorching, and sparks when plugging in devices are all indicators of faulty outlets. If you are experiencing any of these issues, contact your electrician right away!

  7. Malfunctioning Lights Lights are very sensitive and are often a strong indicator of electrical issues within your home. If you have dim or flickering lights, there may be a problem. First, check that your light bulbs are screwed in completely. If the problem continues, especially if it is a single bulb, try replacing the bulb. If the problem persists, there is likely a deeper issue occurring. Call your local electrician right away to have it checked out.

  8. Frayed or Chewed Wires Damaged electrical cords and wires can lead to shocking or house fires. This can be very dangerous and should be addressed immediately. Chewed wires can indicate a rodent problem, especially if you don't have pets.

Never ignore electrical issues within your home. Always Affordable Electric is licensed and insured, and we are here to help you address any of your electrical needs. Give us a call at 215-927-1100 to receive a free quote from one of our experienced electricians.

37 views0 comments
bottom of page